The Eastern Caribbean Central Bank (ECCB) hereby advises the public that it has retrieved counterfeit $100 Eastern Caribbean notes in St Kitts and Nevis bearing the serial number “WB365443”. The public is urged to be cognisant of counterfeit notes.
Counterfeit notes have no value and persons in possession of them may be prosecuted. Vigilance should therefore be exercised when conducting cash transactions to ensure the authenticity of notes. The features of genuine EC notes include:
- Security Threads – when a banknote is viewed from the front under reflected UV light, the letters ECCB and the denomination value of the note are clearly visible in yellow, against a blue background. A second security thread is also present which is a narrow, continuous black line to the left of the Queen’s portrait.
- Raised Print Over Foil – The notes bear a highly reflective silver foil, which shows the denomination. The letters ECCB and the denomination can be seen in small print around the foil. For added security, the foil is over-printed with a raised print.
- Watermark – A mould-made watermark depicting Queen Elizabeth II appears three-dimensional, when held up to the light.
- Novel Numbering – Each individual banknote bears a unique serial number, which is printed vertically on the left hand side of the note and horizontally in “novel” numbering style on the right hand side.
- See Through Feature – When the genuine note is held up to the light, parts of the fish fill in, as the area on the back of the note line up perfectly with the front.
Please be reminded that genuine bank notes are printed on special paper that gives them a unique feel. Posters highlighting the security features of the Eastern Caribbean Bank Notes are available on the Bank’s website at https://www.eccb-centralbank.org/p/security-features-of-bank-notes .
If you encounter any suspicious looking note, take it to the ECCB Headquarters, any of the ECCB Agency Offices or the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) within your territory for assessment.
Media Contact: Ingrid O’Loughlin, Senior Director, Corporate Relations Department
Phone: (869) 465-2537 | Fax: (869) 465-9562