HEADLINES

WATCH Video: Dominica’s Public Works and Ports Minister Resigns Amidst Sex Scandal Involving 15 year Old

 

ROSEAU, Dominica, Thursday March 3, 2016 – Minister for Public Works and Ports Ian Pinard has resigned amid allegations of inappropriate conduct with an underage girl.

And while police mentioned no names, they say they have started investigations into allegations of unlawful and inappropriate conduct made against three men.

Pinard yesterday tendered his resignation, which took effect immediately, to Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit, saying that stepping down would allow him to “more appropriately” address the allegations against him and “focus on other very important personal matters”.

“In recent days, allegations of serious inappropriate behavior have been made against me in the media and elsewhere, in relation to matters which the public rightly is and has been most concerned about. I believe I have a moral and fiduciary responsibility to you to address you on this matter,” Minister Pinard said in a public statement issued after he stepped down.

“In light of these allegations, I consider that my continued presence in the Cabinet can adversely impact the very important work this government is doing and must continue to do for the people of Dominica.”

Pinard said he would, however, continue to serve as a Member of Parliament.

“I will continue to serve my constituency of the Soufriere constituency pending what I am confident will be a successful conclusion of this matter,” he said.

Earlier, Police Public Relations Officer, Acting Inspector Pelham Jno Baptiste, announced an investigation into complaints made by a 15-year-old girl. He said police would be in a position to shed more light on the probe and advise on any action, by weekend.

Prime Minister Skerrit, who had been out of the island up until earlier this week, has weighed in on the allegations.

Speaking at a welcome reception on Tuesday, held in recognition of the honorary degree conferred on him by the Lovely Professional University of India last week, he said he was aware of the widespread concerns about the alleged inappropriate behaviour by three adults in positions of trust and influence in society.

The prime minister said that once he was brought up to speed with everything that transpired during his absence, he would act decisively.

Please follow and like us:
0

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)