- Written by Jermine Abel
St Kitts and Nevis (WINN): One of the students who sustained major burns in an explosion and fire on Nevis in October has succumbed to her injuries.
28-year-old Nada Magdy Khalil of East Brunswick, New Jersey was one of two female students of the Medical University of the Americas (MUA) in Nevis inside the apartment when it exploded on Oct 3.
WINN FM confirmed that Khalil died on Sunday, November 18 in Florida where she had been receiving treatment.
The other victim is 31-year-old Gayane Borisovna Balasanyan from San Francisco; she is still hospitalized in Miami, Florida with burns across 90% of her body.
A joint investigation between the local police force and officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigations revealed that a gas leak from a faulty stove knob caused the explosion.
One week ago Acting Commissioner of Police, Hilroy Brandy revealed some details of the report on the explosion.
“The fire was caused by an explosion due to propane gas that filled the room. There was a leak from the gas stove. It’s a single bedroom apartment so the stove was inside the kitchen and one of the knobs was malfunctioning and the propane gas leaked unknown to the occupant. A female was occupying the room at the time and one of her friends came over that night to study when she lit a cigarette and that’s when the explosion took place;” Brandy explained.
Since the explosion, the medical university has not issued a statement on the matter.