by Ken Richards (WINN FM) ,
St Kitts and Nevis (WINN): Owner and CEO of the Observer Newspaper Kenneth Williams on Saturday called in to Winn FM’s Inside The News programme about the proposed sale of the 22 year old publication.
He confirmed that the paper is up for sale, while explaining that Labour Party leader Denzil Douglas was not the only bidder.
“I am willing to sell the newspaper to the person who offers me the highest bid, I want to put that our there and make it clear. The best offer I have had did not come from Prime Minister Douglas”
Williams acknowledged that he had had a discussion with Dr Douglas about his intention to sell the Observer.
“In the process of the conversation he asked me how was business, I said to him I am kind of tired of it and I would like to either get new investment or sell it. Dr Douglas said to me he has investors I said well if there is interest talk to Hastings. When I got off the phone I spoke to Hastings and Hastings reported to me yes Dr Douglas contacted him to tour The Observer in Nevis and I believe Dr Douglas and Hastings had had some discussions but in terms of whether or not there has been an offer and an acceptance or whether or not there is a sale in the process that is not so” Mr Williams said.
Kenneth Williams said he called in to the Inside The News programme to clear the air, because he said the caption of the Winn FM story gave the impression that the Observer had exchanged hands, or words to the effect that it had already been sold.